Wednesday, December 28, 2011


Well, it been quite busy here at the Wat.  Teaching at the school is going well and keeps me quite busy.  On Friday (Dec. 23) afternoon we went to Bangkok for the weekend.  We took the bus from just outside the Wat (The buses actually stop everywhere, seem like farm yards and all the small little towns, all you have to do is walk out on the highway and flag it down), it cost about 65 Baht per person (about $2.00) which took us from the Wat to a bus station about 2 hours away.  From there we had to take a cab into Bangkok.  We stayed in China Town at the White Orchid Hotel which was a ok hotel for a cheap budget.  One thing that sucked was I was expecting to have hot shower and when I got there I let the water run for like 5 minutes , thinking it was just taking a while to warm up and it only got luke warm ( I was definitely disappointed).  That night Justin and I went for lunch with a nice woman named Ant ( The ladies did their own thing), who is from Thailand and helped with the tour.  We had some pig intestines soup (which was delicious) and some pork on a stick with curry sauce (which was delicious).  We then had some ginger tea with doe balls full of sesame seeds floating on it.  You added brown sugar to it and it was quite tasty also.  After that we went back the hotel, then Justin and I headed out to explore, and maybe find a bar to have a drink.  We ended up walking for about 3 hours, and were bugged (or I could say harassed) by a tuk-tuk drivers trying to take use places.  One tuk-tuk started at 40 Baht for a ride, we would say we wanted to walk, he'd drive around the block and come back.  In the end he was down to 10 Baht which he probably wasted more gas going around the block.  In the end, we tried to give him 10 Baht to just leave us alone, but he would't take it.  Once we made it back to the hotel, with no luck in finding a bar, we decided to head up to the room and look it up on the internet.  We found out that some weren't far from the hotel and headed down to go.  On the way, a man on the street took us to a Jazz club which looked pretty lame so we asked him about some other.  He then start trying to send us in a tuk-tuk some place so we started bargaining.  We told him we didn't want anything to do with any women and just wanted a drink.  He ended for sending us on our way for 10 Baht (which also included a map of Bangkok) to a club.  It was about 15 minutes away and ended up being more than we bargained for.  We paid a cover charge and went in, finding out that it was a strip club (and our strip clubs don't even compare) that I can't even explain on here what went on in there.  We stayed for a couple of beer (one included in the cover charge) as we had looked for a bar all night for a drink.  Let just say it was very graphic!!  After that we decided to walk back to the hotel to try a remove the images from our mind (which took about 1 hour), by the time we got back it was late so we headed to our rooms to sleep.

The next day we got up to have some breakfast included with the room.  It was ok including some sausages, pre cooked  eggs and some thai food.  I was hoping for bacon and maybe some toast but oh well.  After that we headed out to the Grand Palace.

Here are some pics I took Friday night, nothing too exciting.

Just a back Alley we walked down.  Justin wanted to be adventurous.

The biggest KFC bucket I've ever seen.

Just a picture of the city at one time in the night.  Not very good as its was with my iPhone.

We saw multiple police stations that night.
Motorcycles are used a lot to transport.

Another one.

They actually clean the sidewalk at night.

Still cleaning.

This kid was always walking around with this tray on his head.  And he weaved it and out of people like it was glued to his head.


  1. Were there Ping Pong Balls involved?

  2. That's hilarious. Sounds like your Christmas weekend was a little more adventurous than mine.